For moms in Savannah and the Coastal Empire

Recent comments

• lunch ideas - too much peanut butter?   1 year 16 weeks ago

Try getting teacher testimonials and see what they think and what your child really eats at school. Maybe he eats sometimes else or exchanges his sandwiches with someone else.

• Reflecting on the Oklahoma tornado tragedy   1 year 27 weeks ago

Here's the link for the story where the lady finds her little dog while being interviewed... very touching.

• Downsize Your Eating   1 year 33 weeks ago

And also don't forget to downsize the daily meat amount. If you can't reduce it at 0 I would at least recommend a natural chicken. At least you know you are eating healthy food. Not everything you find in supermarkets is good.

• Lizard Hunter   1 year 39 weeks ago

Moles are pretty strange-looking to begin with... although our boxer doesn't normally bring us "presents" as she is more interested in the play/toy value of her critters. My husband has managed to rescue a couple moles from her and release them in a field nearby (hoping they don't come back to our yard!).

• Lizard Hunter   1 year 39 weeks ago

Traci-The moles are especially gruesome to see when they bring them to you as a "present"!

• Lizard Hunter   1 year 39 weeks ago

I've seen my boxer hunting lizards, too! I'm sure she has probably eaten some when I haven't been looking. I know she has killed a few, along with a couple squirrels and some moles...

• Finding the cause of the strange, bad smell in my daughter's room   1 year 40 weeks ago

I know... I hate that! We're usually very careful about making sure shells are empty and we never bring home sand dollars or starfish unless they are most certainly dead already. If their little bristles are moving at all, back they go in the water. My kids even do jellyfish rescues at the beach, scooping up stranded jellies and putting them back in the water. So it was quite a surprise, a couple weeks too late, to see the one closed oyster shell in the cluster of open shells. Sadness. Somehow his cluster had been knocked loose and my daughter just came along and picked it up.

I felt so bad when I brought a shell home from the beach. It was winter and I stuck it in my pocket. Then I discovered a tiny hermit crab that would not survive the drive back to the beach. I really feel badly when I see people pulling conk shells out of the sand and starfish.

• Top Ten Kitchen Toxins   1 year 44 weeks ago

Maybe a nighthawk radiology or something like that, I don't know how it is called in the case of dogs, might help him. Go see a vet, this way you will be sure all the time that when he eats something you didn't give him specially he is fine.

• A Lesson About Kids and Apps   1 year 48 weeks ago

We learned the same lesson last year, but fortunately it was only a small charge and they did waive it for us. But it is definitely something to watch out for! We now have a password on our Kindle that must be entered before anything can be purchased.

• The Christmas letter: our family's year in review   1 year 48 weeks ago

Sounds like that worked out great with your schedule and made your cards something special! I did manage to get my letter finished today, so my cards should be on their merry way tomorrow. At least everyone should receive them Christmas week!

• The Christmas letter: our family's year in review   1 year 48 weeks ago

Traci -

When I was working I gave up on the Christmas card thing and did Happy New Year's cards instead. That way I could work on them during the two weeks of vacation during Winter Break. Plus it was orginal and no one I know did them.

• The Christmas letter: our family's year in review   1 year 48 weeks ago

Traci -

• Tis the Season For The Flu......   1 year 51 weeks ago

A couple more great things to try are vitamin C and echinacea to boost the immune system. Echinacea comes in a liquid form for kids that can be taken at the onset of symptoms and then frequently after. Of course, consult with your pediatrician before using it, but it really seems to work for our family.

And for a cold, a friend told me that a mixture of 1 teaspoon honey (preferably local and raw) and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon taken twice a day for 3 days helps knock it out. I haven't tried that one yet, but I'm all for trying natural solutions!

• Play Therapy   2 years 1 week ago

That's interesting to think of play as a language for kids. What a great way to help understand what's going on with kids when they are troubled and can't communicate it otherwise.

• Can You Afford The Holidays?   2 years 1 week ago

Good ideas for not going overboard with the holiday hype! Now is definitely the time to plan your strategy.

• Hoping a little list can teach responsibility   2 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! I always debate about whether to use "rewards" or not as I hate the idea of "bribing" kids to do something, though it is very popular these days. It may work the way you suggest it, though, as a temporary solution until they get the hang of the system. Thanks!

• Hoping a little list can teach responsibility   2 years 5 weeks ago

Traci-

YOu are on the right track. We use a similar method in the classroom for kids that trouble following routines. I would suggest using pictures for your non-readers. If you are having trouble having your kids remember to follow the routine, try this idea as a reward system until they get it.  Make a chart where you can place stickers each time each individual child completes all of their routine for the morning and evening. Sparatically put rewards like quality time with mom or dad. Ask your kids for ideas of what they would like to do, withing reason of course. This is a low cost-high return way to motivate. Good Luck.

• Breast Cancer Awareness Month-Is it for appropriate for pets too?   2 years 5 weeks ago

Interesting and informative. I never thought of dogs and cats getting breast cancer. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Love Language #1 Words of Affirmation   2 years 6 weeks ago

It really is important to relate to others in their own love language... just like in gift-giving when you choose a gift based on what that person likes instead of what you like. This is a great reminder of how we can use our words to build up our family members (and especially those whose main love language is "words of affirmation")! It also helps in how we relate to everyone, not just family.

• Free Kids Event: Trunk-or-Treat   2 years 6 weeks ago

Rincon First Baptist on HWY 21 is also having a free Halloween Fall Festival. There will be games, food, and hay rides.  Admission is free, but they are asking for donations of canned goods to help local food banks. This event will be Wednesday, Oct. 31 starting at 7p.m.

• What kind of live chat would you like? Tell us your ideas!   2 years 9 weeks ago

I would like to see a live chat on behvior management. I am having trouble with my son in school.

• By All Means Say Yes!   2 years 10 weeks ago

That's great that they want to help on their own! My kids help mostly because I assign them chores. Hopefully as they get a little older they will take more initiative in helping out.

• Remembering Sept. 11   2 years 11 weeks ago

I often debate about how much real news to expose my kids to. Part of me wants to shield and protect them from the ugly truth. But, to a certain extent, and at a certain age, I think it is important for them to be aware of such things. I think the key is to have the discussion with them to help them process and understand events in proper context, as Anisa explained.